For Reals

First off, I have to say a huge thanks to y'all for all the well wishes and good thoughts in the comments to my last post!  It means more to me than you know.

So, having sprung the big huge ginormous news, I thought I ought to tell y'all a little bit about where we go from here.  Yes, we.  I'm dragging you, my faithful readers and trusty advisors, along with me for the rest of this crazy ride.  Truth is, I just couldn't do it without you.  For reals.

I knew that, of everyone in the world, it's my blogfriends who would really understand the bittersweet nature of what I'm doing.  Yes, I'm sure I have to sell the Kelly House.  For reasons I won't get into here, but that are financial and emotional for both AJ and me, it just makes more sense to live in his house.  AJ's house is 110 years newer than the Kelly House and it's beautiful.  Well, except for that green-and-white gingham wallpaper in the kitchen...that needs to go.  And yesterday, when we were standing in the breezeway watching geese fly over, AJ did mention that he'd like to make the patio a bit bigger, brick in the grill, build an island out there and maybe even put in a hot tub...so it does seem quite likely that I'll be moving on to other projects at his house.  Which is soon to be our house.  It's also quite likely that I'll be writing about those projects in a separate blog.

When I say soon, I mean pretty darn soon indeed.  Exactly how soon, I don't want to say just yet because, although AJ and I have a specific date in mind, we haven't shared that date with our kids (his two daughters and my son) and we want to tell them first, of course.  Suffice it to say that we'll be getting married during my favorite season of the year...and that my DIY talents aren't limited to house reno, so you just might be hearing about a wedding project or two.

And I'll still be blogging, right here, until the Kelly House sells.  I'm hoping that will happen sooner rather than later, but you never know.  The house around the corner from mine sold three years to the day from when the for-sale sign first went up in the yard.  Three years.  Gulp.  Pretty scary.  Before I can sell my house, though, I have to list it.  And before I can list it, I have a couple of teeny-tiny things to finish up.  See, shortly after AJ popped the question and I stopped smacking myself in the forehead and muttering "Holy hell, hooo-leee hell!" (well, okay, I still do that, but not 17 times a day any more) the panic about selling my house set in.  Oh lordy, who's gonna buy it in the shape it's in?  What if I don't even get out of it what I owe on it?  Should I finish it all up before I sell it?  Should I just stop what I'm doing and run?  I had several days of racing thoughts like that before I finally got myself into the office of a realtor I trust with my life (how often can you say that?!) and got some good advice. 

That advice boils down to four projects in four weeks.  Four projects.  Four weeks.  Kinda makes your blood run a little cold, doesn't it?  First project, finish taking the painted-over wallpaper off the front parlor walls.  (I am very nearly done with this.)  Second project, same chore in the second parlor/front bedroom.  (I haven't even started.)  Third project, sand the black glue off the floors and leave 'em bare wood.  (I will be happily paying someone else to do that.)  Fourth project, get the house spic-and-span and ready for showing.  (I am tearful just contemplating that one.)  The next several posts will be part of a series titled "Four Projects, Four Weeks: Day [whatever]".  Please do come back for those, because I'll need everybody's encouragement and support.  When I say I can't do it without y'all, I mean it.  For reals.