Just Because

A bit of backstory:  All around the house, at the point where the overhang of the eaves meets the wall of the house just above the wide trim boards, whoever built the house used chair rail.  It's a little bit of decoration on a mostly plain Queen Anne Cottage and I've always liked that detail.  When I picked out the colors for the house this time, I chose a dark grayish brown for the chair rail, a color that I never really liked but chose because it coordinated well with the other paint colors.  

So now that I've told you that, a couple of days ago I was doing some invisible but necessary work on the front of the house: painting the eaves and soffit along where the new front porch will go.  I say invisible because, except for the fascia boards at the edge, the rest of it will be hidden once the new porch roof goes up; necessary because the soffit needs to be painted to protect the wood and that's a lot easier now than clambering up onto the porch roof to do it after the porch is built.

Anyhow, there I was on the front of the house, scraping away paint from the chair rail under the eaves that will never be seen again and getting a crick in my neck from looking up.  A big chunk of paint popped off the chair rail and underneath I saw bright turquoise blue.  At one time the chair rail was painted that color!  I love turquoise blue.  It's one of my favorite colors, in all shades.  

Y'all know what happened next, right?

I briefly considered what the house would look like with turquoise blue trim.  I worried that other people might think it was ugly.  Then I decided that, by golly, it's my house and I love that color and I think it would look great!  

So I painted the chair rail turquoise.  

And I painted the underside of the eaves the same pale blue as the side porch ceiling.  Just because.

I think the house looks happier.  I know I am.