Thankful Thursday

My latest list of five things I am thankful for, in no particular order:

1.  People who have a sense of humor.  When I say I'm a fire and EMS dispatcher, I think what leaps to most people's minds is those terrifying, life-and-death calls you hear on the news sometimes.  We do get those every once in a while, but the majority of our calls are what we call "bread and butter"—ordinary medical calls like difficulty breathing, general illness, and chest pain.  Tonight a quite elderly man called 911 and when I said, "Sir, I'll just stay on the phone with you until the paramedics arrive," he replied calmly and politely, "Oh, that's not necessary.  Surely I'll live at least until they get here."  I love my job.

2.  The superhero that is Reed.  If y'all can stand just one more mention of the boyfriend....Last week I learned I might possibly have a chance to bid day shift at work.  I've worked nights for almost four years, but the possibility of working "normal" hours is tempting, so I debated the pros and cons with myself for a few days before telling Reed I was thinking about it.  He works days, but we haven't been together that long and I was unsure what he'd think of my even counting him among the reasons to turn my work schedule upside-down.  So, I laid it all out to him over supper.  He thought for a few minutes and said, "Of course I'd love to see you more, but the truth is that you have to do what's best for you."  Of course.  And now I know I'll have his support no matter what shift I bid.  I call him a superhero for good reason.

3.  My mom's inability to keep really good Christmas presents a secret until Christmas.  For years and years, my mother has started her Christmas shopping about mid-August.  When she finds something really good, she can't just stow it away until Christmas, try as she might.  Yesterday it was my turn for the early present.  I cut the tape on the box she hadn't even wrapped yet and inside...a Breadman bread maker!  Hooray!  I baked a loaf of bread as soon as I got it home.

4.  Baby Chase.  My daughter-in-law's sister had a baby girl two months ago, and one of my son's best friends had a baby boy just a few days later.  Dylan and Sarah have been baby-sitting a lot lately, and along with that has come a certain amount of baby fever.  I admit not being immune to it, either.  (Babies are just so cute and cuddly and sweet, aren't they?)  Monday night Dylan called me and asked me to come over.  When I got to his house, there sat he and his wife on the sofa, looking exhausted and a little shell-shocked.  "Um," I said, "I hear a baby crying."  Sarah looked at me a little tearfully.  "I know," she said, "and no matter what we do he won't stop crying."  I picked up Baby Chase and rocked him (it's amazing how these skills come right back to you) so Sarah and Dylan could eat supper.  As Sarah grabbed a second slice of pizza she remarked, "At least we can give him back in a couple hours when his mama gets here."  And Dylan said, "We are so not ready for kids of our own."  Lil Chase, I'm sorry you had such a bad tummy-ache, but thank you.

5.  Netflix Watch Instantly and FeedFliks.  I got a Netflix account because I am completely unable to return a video on time and the monthly fee for Netflix is cheaper than my late fees at the video store.  However, I'm unable to return a Netflix DVD right after I watch it, either.  It lays around my house for days, sometimes weeks, before I remember to mail it back.  It became questionable whether the Netflix account was really saving me money.  Then along came Watch Instantly, and I started watching movies on my laptop during down times at work and when there's nothing on tv at home.  Last week I learned about FeedFliks.com, a website that calculates your per-movie cost with Netflix.  Thanks to Watch Instantly, mine is down to 58 cents a movie.  Can't beat that!