The Trunk

I have two things on my to-do list for my days off:

1.  Buy picture rail.
2.  Scrape some of the paint off that old trunk.

The first thing will happen on Friday.  It will.  Unless I get distracted.

The second thing will be begun later today (after a long nap) and will be finished...sometime before 2016.  It will.  Unless I get distracted.  (This is, after all, the home of four-year projects which certainly didn't start out that way.)

I bought the trunk at an auction in early March and it's been sitting on my back porch ever since.  Two or three other people bid against me for it, which initially made me fear that my competitive nature would cause me to overbid my budget of 50 bucks.  I ended up paying $37.50 for it.  It's hard to imagine what it might look like when all that paint's stripped off of it, but I'm hoping that it turns out well enough to be used for a side table somewhere in my house.  Preliminary tapping and scratching on it leads me to think that those strap-looking things on it are wooden and the rest of it is tin.  In my mind's eye the hardware on it is brass and when it's done it'll look very vintage cool.  I'll let y'all know.