Help Me Out

I apologize for the poor quality of this photo, but it's a photo of a microfilm copy of a newspaper photo.  The only advantage to this photo is that it's larger than the one in the sidebar.  I need some opinions, y'all.

(But first, can we have a moment of silence to mourn all that gorgeous roof cresting that's no longer there?  Amen.)

This photo was taken around 1906 and it's the oldest photo I have of the house.  (Incidentally, I think the house was built about 1887 or so.)  You can find out more about the photo and some house history here and here.  At the time I wrote those posts, I thought the yellow was the original color.  Now, after careful scraping with a razor blade, I believe the paint history to be this:  light gray, white, yellow, white (several times) and then my coat of yellow. The trim history:  light gray, black or very dark green (it's hard to tell), tan, white (many times) and my coat of green.  I had settled on Montpelier Ashlar Gray for the body of the house; Woodlawn Bedroom White for the trim, window frames, and porch posts; Mark Twain House Ombra Gray for the trim detail (like on the porch posts and porch brackets) and Lincoln Cottage Black for the window sashes.  (All those colors are Valspar from the National Trust For Historic Preservation collection.)

But then I started looking at that 1906 photo, and here's where I need some help.  Does it look to y'all like those big boards under the eaves and under the little roof where the stained glass windows are were painted a dark color?  I think the line's too sharp for it to be just shadows.  And then look over to the left side of the house, by the horse's butt--I think the trim was a dark color, too.  (It's hard to see the trim over by the porch because that part of the photo's so dark, and it looks like there's a downspout in front of the trim.)  I think maybe the trim was painted darker than the house, not lighter.  I'm not sure, though.  What do y'all think?  And, would it look terrible to paint the trim that MTH Ombra Gray?  Or even the next darkest color on that card, Ocean Storm?  The window frames and porch posts would still be that off-white and the window sashes would be black like they are now.

I have to have my colors approved by the city's Historic Preservation Commission later this month before I paint, but they're not required to be National Trust colors, just colors that would be historically appropriate. Since the trim's been both dark and light in the house's history, either would work.  I can't decide which I like better.  So help me out and tell me what y'all think would look best.