Goldilocks and the Three Porches

Everybody knows the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  Well, I'm kinda like Goldilocks.  Except that what has to be just right isn't my porridge or my bed, it's my front porch.

When I bought the house my front porch looked like this:


Too dark.  

Also, too dingy, too closed-in, too big.  And those fake wrought iron posts had to go. Yuck.

So then in 2009, Mare and I did this:


My favorite post about that project is right here.  

Better.  Okay, much better.  

Lighter.  More open, nicer posts, prettier.  But still not exactly right.  Too big.  The roof's too flat.  I wasn't sure screening it in was the right thing to do.  

So after I get the approval of the Historic Preservation Commission, after I tear off the existing porch, and after the weather breaks and Mare actually shows up to help me, we'll build the third porch.  It will look something like this:


(Thanks to Dylan for the Photoshop job.)  

Something like that, but not exactly.  Ever so slightly smaller, because the original porch was 18 inches shorter on each side than the existing one.  With spandrel (small spindles) all the way around the top.  And three porch posts at the corner.  Without screen.  Maybe with steps the entire width of the porch.  (Maybe; I haven't decided yet.) 

And then, the porch will be just right.