I Was Thinking

A couple of weeks ago, Mare and I went to supper at the pub and this happened.

Me:  So I was thinking...

Mare:  Uh-oh.

Me:  Stop.  This is a good thing.  I was thinking that we should rebuild my front porch--

Mare:  The front porch?!  The one we just rebuilt?!

Me:  That was five years ago.

Mare:  Okay, the one we just rebuilt five years ago.  

Me:  We didn't really rebuild  it.  That's an exaggeration.  We just replaced the porch posts.

Mare:  And ripped out the walls so it wasn't closed in.

Me:  Well, yeah...

Mare:  And screened it in.

Me:  Part of it.  Which I was never really sure about.

Mare:  So take out the screen panels. [Which is possible; he built it so the screen panels are inside the porch posts and could be removed fairly easily.]

Me:  I'd like to do more than that...

Mare:  I thought you said this was a good thing.

Me:  It is.  It totally is.  We can tear off that porch and rebuild it to the original dimensions.  It would look a lot better.

Mare:  It would be a lot of work.  The original porch had a mansard roof.

Me:  Exactly.  So this one looks weird.  It's too big.

Mare:  It kinda is...You know, I rebuilt the porch on my house down the street back to the original dimensions using the marks on the house.

Me:  And you did that on the Captain's House out south of town, too.  Same thing.

Mare:  That is an awesome porch.

Me:  It is.  My porch could be awesome too.

Mare:  I'll have to think about this...

[Insert dramatic foreshadowy music here.  Like maybe this.]