A Door Story

Once upon a time, there was a nice little bedroom door who lived in the Kelly House.  The door was pine, but it was stained dark to look like walnut.  The door had beautiful steeple hinges.  It was a happy and pretty little door.

Then along came a person who painted the door white.  The door smiled.  "I have a new coat," it said.  Then along came a person who painted the door tan.  And another person who painted it white again.  And another person who painted the door turquoise blue.  "I do not like this coat, " the door said, "and the 1960s are not kind."

But the worst was yet to come.  A mean, bad, terrible person came along and sawed the door in half.  The door was very sad.  Then the mean, bad, terrible person took the door's beautiful hinges away.  That bad person also sent the door's friends Mortise Lock, Back Plate and the Knob twins to live someplace else far, far away and put lots of wood filler where the Knob twins used to live and slopped white paint all over the door so no one would recognize the nice little door.  The door was very sad indeed.  "I cannot even do my job," the door said.  "I do not stay open, and I do not stay shut.  And I am ugly now."

But then a smart, kind, wonderful person came to live in the Kelly House.  "I will save you!" she told the door.  She and her friend Mare the Genius Carpenter put the door back together again and gave it back its beautiful hinges and introduced it to some new friends.  These friends reminded the nice little door of its old friends.  The new friends might even have been distant cousins of the old friends.  The door was very, very happy.

 "I am put back together again!"  said the nice little door.  "I can stay open now!"
"And I can stay shut too!" said the nice little door.  "And even though I am still a wee bit ugly, I know that one day soon I will be a pretty door again!"

So the little door knew it would live happily ever after.