The Loophole

I've surely mentioned before how much I love my neighbors Floyd and Gwen.  They live right next door in a house built on the other half of the lot my house sits on, and I couldn't ask for better neighbors.  They loaned me their big extension ladder so I could paint the tall parts of my house—well, okay, so WTB could paint the tall parts of my house.  They gave me a little dogwood tree.  They've offered tons of advice and encouragement along the way.


Tuesday when I was checking out the back wall of the house Floyd yelled over from his yard, "Go, Jayne, go!" 

I admitted that I had no motivation to finish tearing the shingles off the wall that day.  "In fact," I confessed, "I'm gonna take the whole summer off." 

He strolled over with raised eyebrows.  "Really now?  Is that so?"  Clearly Floyd does not believe me.

"That's so.  No major projects for the whole entire summer.  That's my vow."

"Well...you're kinda committed to do this now that you've started," he said, looking at the half of the wall that still has shingles.  "Good thing summer doesn't officially start 'til the 21st of June.  You'll have it all done by then."

Now there's a loophole I can work right through...