Before & During

I can't really call these before-and-after photos because we're still a long way from "after", so I'll say they're before-and-during pictures. 


Front parlor before


Front parlor sanded



















(Looks uneven because I hadn't run the ShopVac yet.)

I couldn't get a before picture of the foyer because Charlie was half-done in there before I even knew he'd started, but here's what it looked like after he was finished sanding. 
















And saving the worst for last...the dining room.  This is the room I was most worried about because it had so much damage to it.  Several years before I bought the house, the neighbor's tree fell over in a storm and poked a big hole in the roof of my house.  I'm not sure of the particulars, but the end result was a pretty large patch of water damage (about 4'x4') on the floor and the total replacement of the original plaster ceiling in there with sheetrock.


Ugly.
 



Not so ugly.
 















The floors are pine, narrow-width boards maybe an inch and a quarter.  Oddly, the dining room floor's made from hundreds of short little pieces.  (You can bigify the pictures and compare the foyer floor to the dining room floor to better see what I'm talking about.)  In places we could see the original stain and varnish.  The floors were stained sort of a maple color originally.  I'm thinking of going a bit darker to even out some of the bad places in the floors that didn't completely sand out, like maybe an oak or walnut. 

Last night I had a nightmare that while I slept, some creature came into the house and turned the floors black again.  In the dream, it was sort of like a giant land-dwelling squid that poured out ink.  I woke up terrified about 6 a.m. and ran into the dining room, then through the front parlor and into the foyer.  The floors, of course, had not turned black.  What a relief.