How Cool Is This?!

The online version of This Old House recently listed their Best Old House Neighborhoods for 2012, and guess who made that list?  Lexington, Missouri!  My little hometown!

In my estimation, my neighborhood is easily the best of the Best Old House Neighborhoods...but I might be a tad biased.  Still, living practically smack in the middle of the Old Neighborhoods National Register Historic District, being surrounded by gorgeous old houses, within walking distance of the other three (yes, three!) Historic Districts in Lexington--our downtown, the Highland Avenue neighborhood, and Wentworth Military Academy--and having the best neighbors ever, my neighborhood's got almost everything a person could want.  A little ten-minute stroll (7 minutes if I'm walking with WTB) and I'm downtown to get a reuben at Riley's Irish Pub & Grill, browse through the furniture and antique hardware at Missouri River Antique Company, buy a book or two and a great cup of coffee at River Reader, check out the cool stuff at Patlen's Smart Shop (which is located inside a former bank building that was once robbed by Jesse James), and window-shop the fabulous furniture at Blackthorn Trading Company.  (This is not an all-inclusive list of the shops by any means--just my very favorites.)

Come see Lexington for yourself.  You can plan your trip at www.visitlexingtonmo.com and find links there to local Bed & Breakfast inns, our area wineries, and a calendar of events.  And should you fall in love with Lexington, there are several historic properties for sale in town.  I can't say enough nice things about the folks at Welcome Home Realty, who specialize in historic houses and have a real passion for the properties they sell.  Some of their listings are truly swoon-worthy.