Help Wanted

I need some help.  Advice really.  It's a two-part problem.

Part One:  I have this hare-brained idea that I could get the paint off the transom window hardware if I put it in my bathtub (which is nasty and will be replaced within the next calendar year...I think) and pour boiling water over it.  My tub gets the most use as a wallpaper trough and a place for the kitties to nap, and only rarely for its intended purpose.  Do y'all think this will work?

Part Two:  How in the Sam Hill do I get the transom window hardware off the window?  Or any other hardware, for that matter?  It just occurred to me that I'd like to strip the window latches and the thumb lifts on the other windows in the house, too.  There's so much paint blobbed on it that it's almost impossible to see the screws.  I tried stripper, which worked okay but not well enough to be able to remove the hardware.  I tried a heat gun, which bubbled up the paint on the trim but did nothing else—except make me worry all night that a dust bunnie behind the trim was smoldering and my house was gonna catch fire. 

Part Two really ought to be Part One, now that I think about it...Oh well.   And thanks in advance, because I just know someone will know the answers to these questions!