In The Meantime

So I did it.  I took a deep breath and clicked the button and bought—gulp—26 rolls of wallpaper.  I've never bought that much wallpaper in my life...every wallpaper order I've ever placed, combined, does not equal 26 rolls of wallpaper.  But then, I've never papered a 15' by 15' room with a bay and 11' ceilings before.  Buying that much of anything makes me nervous.  Hang on, I have to go take a Tagamet and wash it down with a nice crisp white wine....

Okay, I feel better. 

The wallpaper will take a little while to get here, since I chose free ground shipping instead of three-day shipping for $127.  (Made the right decision there, huh?)  In the meantime, I decided to eradicate the pee-pee carpet in the second parlor.  So far I've stripped a five-foot-wide swath of the junk off the floor, ripped up the pad underneath, torn up the glued-down carpet under that, and scraped the carpet backing off the floor.  I am very sorry to say that the floor in the second parlor looks black and icky like the floors in the rest of the house.  This is the last room in the house that still has carpet, so the end is in sight.  Only two more five-foot-wide swaths to tear up.  (Every room in my house is about 15' x 15'.  Those Victorians and their love of symmetry.)  To motivate me to keep ripping away at the carpet, I bought paint for the second parlor.  It's Valspar's Praline Cake, and if you've ever eaten a praline (the candy, I didn't even know it could be cake) it's exactly that color.  My idea is to make the second parlor sort of manly.  I have photos of my Uncle Walter from World War I and my dad from World War II, a shadow box of the ribbons and insignia from my dad's Army uniform, and a couple of reproduction maps and posters that I think will all go together nicely.  I also have a little desk and some bookshelves to put in there.  Now all I need are a couple of big, overstuffed chairs, like the ones they have at Barnes & Noble, and a chunky table to go between 'em.  Better hit the Salvation Army for those.  Someday.  In the meantime, I'll be right here ripping up carpet and painting and waiting on the gigantic wallpaper order to get here.