The Big Reveal

The secret's out!  I got a dog today!  Blogfriends, meet Liberty.  The only photo I have of her was taken when she was still in doggie jail.  Oh, I tried to take photos today, but little doggie had kitties to chase, kibble to munch, a whole house to explore, and new toys to chew on.  She is waaaay too busy to stand still for photos!  (Although, I do have a nice collection of pics of her hiney and the kitchen floor as she ran off.)   The folks at the animal clinic say she's a chihuahua mix and I wonder, mixed with what?  Her face is a Chi face, but she has long legs and a curly corkscrew tail.  She weighs about 12 pounds now, but she is very thin...so thin that her little ribs are poking out.  The Animal Control Officer found her in a grocery store parking lot shivering in the snow and ice.  Poor little doggie.  Between being lost or dumped and the stress of being on death row, she's a skinny little thing.  I think once she gets settled in and starts eating better, she'll weigh 15 pounds or a bit more. 

And the cats?  Wellll...as expected, Marie didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for Liberty.  In fact, Marie glanced at her, gave me a look that clearly said, "This means War," and then stalked off to her lair in the box springs under my bed.  When I left for work tonight, she was still in there.  No doubt she's plotting some horrible fate for Liberty while I'm gone.  She'll have to pry open the bathroom door to get at the dog.   Christopher, the big goof, walked right up to Liberty to say hello within thirty seconds of her arrival.  Then he saw the reaction of the other two cats, succumbed to peer pressure, and hissed at her.  You could tell his heart wasn't really in it, though.  In an hour or so, Liberty and Christopher were touching noses and sharing the same water bowl, and when I laid down for a nap before work, they both jumped up onto my bed.  And then there was Louis...my sweet, cuddly little guy was not so sweet and cuddly today.  He jumped onto the dining room table and yowled like something out of a horror movie.  When Liberty barked at him, he fled the dining room for the box springs with Marie.  Before I went to work, I showed Louis some pictures of himself wrestling with dogs when he lived at my friend Melissa's house.  "See, Louis?" I said, "You liked dogs when you were little."  He remains unconvinced. 

So, the next few days should be interesting.  Good thing I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday night.