The Week of Nothing

This has not been a good week for blogging. That's because I've accomplished absolutely nothing house-related this week.  I got back from my spur-of-the-moment road trip just in time to see the doctor, take a nap, and go back to work for the rest of the week.  The hour or so every day between waking up and leaving for work, which usually is filled by painting or wallpapering or something resembling restoration has, this week, been taken up by Liberty.  She and Louis have been getting along really well—so well that they were racing around every day in a whole-house game of either Hide-and-Seek or Tag that involved jumping on the bed, the couch, any unoccupied chair, and in and out of the bathtub.  This made it somewhat difficult for me to sleep.  More importantly, it made it difficult for Liberty's incision from her spaying to heal.  I had to take her back to the vet yesterday after noticing that her little tummy is swollen and a couple of the stitches are starting to cut into her.  We came home with a round of antibiotics and strict orders to settle down, so poor Liberty is now on house arrest, penned in a kennel for two or three hours at a time while I sleep, and locked in the bathroom when I'm gone.  I hate to do that to her, but it's only temporary until her stitches come out in 5 or 6 days.  Or maybe not...I kinda like not being stepped on by a dog and a cat when I sleep.

I hope to make up for this week of nothing on my days off.  The new ladder has arrived (more about that tomorrow) and I plan to put it to good use while I finish painting the second parlor and the dining room trim.  We'll see if I have any lingering mental trauma from the fall.  My friend Kenny says, "I ain't afraid of ladders.  I ain't afraid of heights.  I ain't even afraid of falling.  But damn, that sudden stop at the end scares me half to death."  I now know just what he means.  My doctor told me I don't have to wear the wrist brace anymore unless I start having some pain.  So far, so good.  She also forbid me to do any heavy lifting, but since the 39-pound ladder I just bought has wheels, I don't think dragging it around counts as lifting.  Right?  A phone call from Mare confirmed that he will be here on Monday for more door-gluing.  He made this prediction:  "We'll get em all done on Monday, now that we know what we're doing."  Really?  Six doors in one day?  That seems just a tad too optimistic to me.  We shall see.